These Books Aren't All New??

Books are expensive. I tend to pick and review books that are both new & old. Many of these books you will be able to find on the shelves on your library as opposed to the front of your bookstore.

I believe that there are many hidden gems from years gone by & I enjoy highlighting those as well as today's best sellers.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

All My Patients Have Tales, Jeff Wells, D.V.M

Photobucket

Publisher's Copy:

All My Patients Have Tales is a charming, funny, and engaging collection of stories in the great tradition of James Herriout's All Creatures Great And Small.

Jeff Wells describes the first scary cases he takes on at the start of his career, right after graduating from the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine, and as he becomes a seasoned and beloved vet, we watch him grow and flourish over the years. Wells works in a "mixed practice," treating farm animals and house pets, with the occasional exotic thrown in.

The many life-altering, life-threatening, uplifting, and hilarious episodes Wells relates feature a turkey attack, a pregnant male cat, porcupine-quill-covered terriers, a heavy-metal Chihuahua with road burn, an ornery pygmy donkey, a giant hog, a constipated cow, and many others.

Each of these cases reveals not only Wells's wisdom and great sense of humor - without which he surely couldn't do his job - but his sensitive and caring approach to both his charges and their owners.

This perfect little gem of a book will appeal to animal lovers, "pet parents," and anyone who has ever toyed with the idea of becoming a vet.

My Review:

This book of animal stories just didn't do it for me.

Even though I'm an animal lover (my schnauzer has his own blog, for Pete's sake) I found most of these stories a little flat & just kind of boring.

My opinion is this one is only for vet-wannabes and those who really like pet stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by!