These Books Aren't All New??

Books are expensive. I tend to pick and review books that are both new & old. Many of these books you will be able to find on the shelves on your library as opposed to the front of your bookstore.

I believe that there are many hidden gems from years gone by & I enjoy highlighting those as well as today's best sellers.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Map Of Home

Photobucket

A Map Of Home, Randa Jarrar

I should begin this post by letting you all know that I am an idiot. I believed during the entire book, that I was reading an autobiography. I even wondered why the name of the main character in the book was not the same as the author, but when you read the book you know that the main character is given an mans name, so I assumed that she changed it.

Anywho, this is about a young girl living in Kuwait. It's quite a culture shock to read the amount of cursing & hitting that goes on in this household. Even though this is fiction, I think it must be scenes that are familiar to Jarrar, since she lived in Kuwait until the first Gulf War.

If it's not a culture you're not used to, the book can be a little unsettling, but maybe unsettling is the first step to understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by!