These Books Aren't All New??

Books are expensive. I tend to pick and review books that are both new & old. Many of these books you will be able to find on the shelves on your library as opposed to the front of your bookstore.

I believe that there are many hidden gems from years gone by & I enjoy highlighting those as well as today's best sellers.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty

Now as a person who reads voraciously, I often read young adult (YA) books. Maybe part of it is because I think that I could be a successful YA writer someday. The other part is probably my immaturity, but does that really matter?

Photobucket

Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty, by Jody Gehrman (YA)

Geena, a high school junior desperately wants her cousin Hero & her BFF Amber to get along over summer break. Predictably the path is rocky, but not in a way you would assume.

Triple Shot Betty is set in the wine country of Sonoma, so that might explain why these teenagers are often given alcohol by the 'responsible' adults in this book, but it just seems like a bad literary choice on the part of Gehrman to make this seem o.k. The kids in this book drink often, and drink often with their parents. Only on one occasion does this have any negative effect to our lead characters. I really think this was an detriment to the book.

The girl power ending was a little trite for me, but it was a fun read overall. I would not recommend it to the tween audience it was intended for, given casual approach given to high school drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by!